Sunday, February 28, 2016

Winter Scenes and Grand Marais History Book Update

Before getting to today's photos, first I would like to give an update on the progress of the Grand Marais history book.  I finished the research and started writing a week ago.  Because of the hundreds of hours I spent inputting historical information from books, articles, and internet sites into a data base -- the task of writing is going faster than I expected.  So far I am around 25 percent done with writing, which I am doing in Microsoft Word.  After that, I am going to convert the text and graphics into a printer-friendly format using publishing software.  I am enjoying the whole process immensely.   I do expect that the history book will be available this summer.  The book is not only covering the history of Grand Marais after the first European founded the first trading post in the mid-1880s, but I went back to the beginning of how and when did humans first get to North America, how and when did the first arrive in Michigan, and what happened in the Upper Peninsula before and after the European's arrival.

For today's post I am including photos from two different cross country ski outings.  Some of the photos were taken on the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore's trails; others in the school forest.

The following photo shows one of the natural springs that bubble up along the national park's Trail B.  These springs flow all winter long....


Lois Fite skiing the track....



The snow on top of this downed tree was over three feet high....


Two weeks ago the snow gauge along Trail A indicated a snow dept of 20 inches.  Since then we have had a few warm days, which has condensed the snow and lowered the level by four inches.


Burt Township School Forest scenes...








No comments:

Post a Comment