Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend Ice on the Big Lake

Due to attending my grandson's first birthday party on Saturday, and having to get some custom mineral art orders completed first -- I have not been able to post on the Blog the last few days.  Now -- I'll have to play catch up with some of my pictures.

On Friday night my oldest son and his wife, Kevin and Jericho, called from their drive to attend Keenen's birthday party.  Rather than push on through to arrive late, they decided to stay the night at my house in Grand Marais.  It was a bit out of the way, but the price was right.

On Saturday morning before driving down to Lewiston for the birthday party, we went down to First Creek so they could see the beach.  I did not expect the ice to be back near shore.

We parked at the top of First Creek.  Here are a couple of photos from the bluff.



After First Creek dammed up due to the icebergs, it blew out north and the outflow carved out the creek bed.


Kevin and floating ice....




Notice all the fishermen on the breakwall.


Jericho at the creek's mouth.



This iceberg was around six feet long.


Loons entertained us...


Kevin and Jericho.


Au Sable lighthouse.


 There is still snow at the bottom of the bluff....




...and in my yard.  At least there was on Saturday.  When I arrived home on Sunday, the snow in my yard was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment