Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sable Falls Area Evening Hike -- Post 2

Today I'll post the rest of the photos from my evening hike in the Sable Falls area the other night.

Once I very carefully maneuvered my way down the face of the dune, I turned around to snap the photo below.  As you can see, the massive erosion from all the intense storms is playing havoc with the Grand Sable Banks.  Most of what is left is clay.  It was not an easy climb down.


But it was a beautiful evening.



The route I climbed down is just to the left of the newly developed spring that has cut its path down the dune.  Notice the huge boulder that worked its way free and rolled to the bottom.


The drainage patterns were quite picturesque.



Of course the rocks are always colorful.  First wet rocks just off shore...

 
Then dry rocks....
 

Another picture looking up the bank...


I'm not sure if the animal track shown below is a moose track or a deer track.  It was quite large, so I'm thinking probably moose.


 
 The after glow of sunset...



I have never seen so much water at the mouth of Sable River.


The only way to get across was to balance and carefully work my way across the log shown on the left below.  I did get my feet wet on the far side. 




Looking upstream at the log jam...



I tried to capture the light at Au Sable Point and was successful with my first shot.  In five more photo attempts I was not able to get the timing.



Up the steps and back to the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment