Saturday, June 22, 2013

Lake Superior Beach and Garden Progress

For the first time in a few weeks we had rain in Grand Marais yesterday.  Everything has been so dry, so the ecosystem really appreciated it. 

The other day a family hired me to conduct my regular rockhounding class.  A good time was had by all.




When most people agate hunt on the beach, they usually look at the rows of rock at the high water mark.  One of the class participants found a seam agate in the layer of rock exposed in the mini-bluff up the beach.

 
 
Friends, Jamey and Lois, are splitting my garden with me.  Given my schedule, it helps to have two other sets of hands.  Since I didn't have a garden last year, we had to clean up two years worth of weeds.  While working, I must admit that the mosquitoes were worse than I have ever seen.  Bug hats and/or bug shirts were a must.   We found out while sitting in my sun porch that the mosquitoes as well as a few bees were getting in the porch.  Some probably entered the porch when we were going in and out, but we discovered they were also coming in the air vents that run the length of the eaves.  Below is a picture of a collection of bugs Jamey killed while we were sitting in the sun porch.


Here are a few photos of the garden beds after we finished weeding.



 
Here are a few pictures of the garden after two weeks of growth.  In the first photo below you can see peppers and pole beans.


In the south bed we have tomatoes, peas, pumpkin, butternut squash, zucchini, pickling cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, parsley, celery, radishes, thyme, and dill.


The east bed is dedicated to tomatoes.  We hope it is warm enough this summer for them to ripen.


The pole beans are coming up!



The tomatoes have some flowers starting...


The iris in my yard are in bloom...



...and the rose bushes are growing like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment