Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Major Winter Storm

Snow, Snow, and more Snow. 

A winter Storm is expected to bring snow and strong winds to the Grand Marais area.  Storm total snow accumulations of 12 to 18 inches are possible through Wednesday.  The low pressure system is taking its time moving east and will be stalled over the eastern Upper Peninsula.  It started over night and we have at least 8 to 10 inches of new snow already.  In fact, as I type the front end loader is plowing my driveway.  I watched for a few minutes and even this big equipment was temporarily stuck on the slope.  He was spinning his tires and could not get back up the slope, so he had to back all the way down the 500 feet driveway to get momentum to get back up on top.
 
Here are a few photos I took on Sunday.  The first is a view looking west from my garage.
 
 
A view looking down the top of my driveway.
 
 

 
When I went to town, I stopped to document the floating ice out on the big lake.
 
 
 
Below are a couple of current NOAA charts.  The first shows ice cover and the second current lake water temperatures. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment