Thursday, November 29, 2012

First Winter Dunes Hike -- Post 1

I finally made myself get out and hike yesterday. It is hard to tell how much snow we have received during the last week because of all the blowing and drifting. In Grand Marais we have received less than most other northern U.P. locations, some of which have received a foot or more of snow. I would say that we have 3-4 inches with some drifts. There certainly is not enough snow yet to prevent me from driving over to Sable Falls, which is where I went late yesterday afternoon.

Before I get to the Sable area photos, I'll post a few update pictures of our new break wall. Apparently the crew is now done. Notice that there are two type of rock. The second crew used a lighter colored rock than did the first crew.



The darker rocks on the right do have some snow.


I guess the contractor is supposed to get their equipment out of Grand Marais and are waiting for appropriate weather to head out into Lake Superior.


From the Sable Falls parking lot, I headed toward the dunes.


The footbridge over Sable River...


Looking down stream...


Looking up stream...


Heading up into the dunes...


 
 

To be continued tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment