Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Miscellaneous Snowshoe and Grand Marais Photos

Today I'll post a variety of pictures taken during the past couple of days.    Yesterday I snowshoed in the school forest again.  First a couple of pictures taken on the North Country trail.



When I arrived to the shore, I captured a picture of this big freighter that was steaming by.

There are two Lake Superior beaches that I like to go to that you access through the school forest. The other day on my snowshoe I went to the east most beach, which I call Pathway. My plan was to walk west on the beach to access Gobel, and head back down the road to the car. The two beaches are around a half mile apart. I never saw access to the second beach. So yesterday I snowshoed the road to Gobel Beach to see why I missed it.  Now I know why.  The fall storms eroded the bluff back to 70 foot escarpment like cliffs.  There is no longer any way to access the shoreline from Gobel Beach.  The pictures below were taken from the top of the bluff. 



I drove through Woodland Park in town to see what the shoreline looks like.  As you can see, there is no snow.


A couple of days ago friends and I snowshoed the Masse Homestead trail up into the dunes.



We had a few more snowmobiles in town over the weekend, but not as many as we have seen in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment