Friday, November 4, 2011

Hike in the Pictured Rocks National Park Forest

Despite having a rib injury from slipping on wet leaves while I was down state, I just had to get out and  hike yesterday.  It was sunny with temperatures in the 50s -- feeling more like September than November.  I chose to carefully walk the flat trail between H58 and the Log Slide (Masse Homestead Trail).  When I left to go down state a couple of weeks ago, the trees still had their leaves.  Now it certainly looks like late fall. 

As I walked toward the logslide, I noticed that the character of the forest changed.  Here are a few examples:






After I arrived at the log slide, I took the old trail east back to the western edge of the Grand Sable Dunes.  Notice the hiker in the middle of the sand bowl.



It was a calm day on the waters of Lake Superior.  Here is a shot looking east toward Grand Marais. 



I notice along the trail one of the most colorful shelf fungi I have ever seen.



Yesterday morning the deer were eating the apples in my yard.  I was able to capture a few photos.




1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine told me about your blog...I am from the U.P. too (Michigamme) and have a blog at http://myretirementchronicles.blogspot.com
    Hope you stop by...just joined your blog as a Follower, hope you do the same on mine! Love the dunes, hope to come there next year and do some photography too.

    ReplyDelete