Monday, November 7, 2011

Grand Sable Dunes Hike

It was mostly sunny this past weekend with above average temperatures in the upper 40s and low 50s. I headed up into the dunes for a hike, being careful to not aggravate my rib injury. It was so windy in the dunes, that I was forced to hide my camera under my coat. I only took it out a few times since I didn't want to risk getting sand in the camera. The wind was blowing sand everywhere.

I walked down the Masse Homestead Trail, and then up one of the old logging roads angling off to the right up into the dunes.  When I was about half way across the dunes to Lake Superior, I caught my first glimpse of Au Sable Lighthouse. 


There was also a small freighter heading west bound.




Throughout the dunes, there are ghost forest logs.  I thought that this one was especially artistic.



On the way home, I stopped at the Sable Lake overlook to snap a couple of pictures, including the second photo below with the rising moon.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your rib. I was in SD for 3 weeks at my sisters. She lives in the west side of the state in Spearfish Canyon and 1/2 way up the 1,000 ft hill behind her home you can find geodes. We went to a great rock shop and I got a slice of flourite on sandstone polished on both sides. Also a natural piece of dark purple flourite with the cubed crystals. Had a great time.

    ReplyDelete