Monday, May 9, 2011

Memorial Falls, New Road, and Miscellaneous

I just returned from Marquette a while ago. The TV6 Mother's Day Craft Show went better than expected, considering this show has not happened for several years. Even though the weather was nice and I'm sure people were out working in their yards, we still had over 3,000 people attend the show. Thanks to Jimmy and Helen for their top-of-the-line hospitality. I would also like to thank those of you who engaged in great conversations over the weekend, as well as everyone who helped support the Gitche Gumee Museum by purchasing things in my booth.

On the way home today I decided to visit Memorial Falls, which is owned by the Michigan Nature Association. I've posted pictures before, but there are always new perspectives. This falls is located off H58 East a mile or so east of Munising. If you are driving east on Munising Avenue/H58 -- go past the paper mill on your left, past the road to Sand Point that goes to Munising Hospital, and make a right after the big curve on Nester Street. The trail to the falls is 3/4 of the way to the end of the dead-end road. Look for the white sign.


The foot path is only a few hundred feet to the top of the falls.  You can get down to the lower level by continuing on the trail across the foot bridge back toward H58.  The trail is a bit rugged as you make a right and head down a steep incline to the bottom of the grotto.  These curved rock formations were eroded back by the creek.  There are actually three different grottoes in a row.

 

I decided to play with the zoom and settings on my camera.  Here are a couple of close ups of the waterfalls taken with the sports setting.



At the bottom of the falls there is still just a bit of ice left over from winter.  The drops falling the 30 feet from the upper ledge are carving out the ice.



As I've shown before, between the first two grottoes there is a hole in the rock that you can climb through.



Here are some dripping patterns in the sand below the falls.




The grottoes consist of sandstone cliffs that have eroded back from the creek.




Here are a couple of shots of the completed bridge over the Hurricane River.


I must admit that I like driving the new road.  One of the people I spoke with at the Marquette show told me that the road has over 160 curves.  So if you drive it -- enjoy the beauty but be careful.


No comments:

Post a Comment