Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mackinac Island Visit

I had an invitation to play golf on Mackinac Island this week. As hard as it is for me to close the museum for a day, I decided to do so. The other days this week I only had 3 or 4 people come into the museum, so I accepted the invitation. Since my friend's house and the golf course are both by the island's airport, I flew over rather than taking the ferry. Here are some photos to document the short flight.



When I coached volleyball and also chaperoned the teams during the time my kids were attending school in Grand Marais, I flew over to the island in the winter on several occasions. However, I have never flown over the Mackinaw Bridge when the straits are ice-free. The best view of the bridge is certainly from the air.




The short flight path took us over St. Ignace, above the bridge, past downtown, and around the west side of the island to the airport.







For those that do not know the story of Mackinaw Island, there are no cars allowed on the island other than emergency vehicles. Next to the airport local residents store their garden carts. When they fly to the mainland to go shopping, the carts are waiting for them to haul the items back to their houses. Bikes are the preferred source of transportation.


No comments:

Post a Comment