Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shipwreck Museum

Last weekend I was fortunate to have been asked to teach the agate class at the Shipwreck Museum located on Whitefish Point. The weather was a bit windy, but the rain held off on Saturday. On Friday, they let me set up a small booth on the porch of their gift shop. The rain did not hold off that day. Thus, when the tourists took refuge on the covered porch, I was at the right place at the right time with my booth.

Although Grand Marais does quite well with tourism, we do not compare to Whitefish Point. I couldn't believe how busy it was, even with the bad weather. Of course, it was Blueberry Festival 11 miles down the road in Paradise. That may have contributed to the busy tourist traffic on Whitefish Point.

Below are some pictures taken at Whitefish Point, including one of my booth and a couple from the agate class.

A shot from the microscope part of the agate class.


Several ore freighters passed by during the day.



Some of the class participants looking for rock specimens in the field trip portion of the class.



Various shots of the buildings/displays at the shipwreck museum.







A makeshift memorial for victims from the Edmund Fitzgerald tragic sinking on November 10, 1975.



More shots of the museum grounds.





My booth on the gift shop porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment